Friday, September 27, 2013

The Indigo Duck: Fine Dining in The Bodacious Burg of Franklin

The Indigo Duck, 49 E. Court Street in Franklin, is a really small fine dining restaurant in a historic storefront building on the courthouse square.  It has maybe twenty tables, but also has a full bar with stools in the front part of the space just inside the door.  It's rather simply decorated, with muted lighting that lends a relaxed atmosphere to the place, which bills itself as "come as you are" Southern style.  

I was able to order duck for the second time in as many weeks, woohoo! This dish was entitled "Gunthorp Farm Grilled Duck" (promoting their local supplier), and the manner in which was cooked suited me to a T, whatever that means.  The slices of duck were crispy on the outside edges and sort of medium-well on the inside.  To me it was 'way more tasty than the seared duck I had at Piper's lasts week:  I'm no chef, but I think maybe cooking it a little more caramelizes the fat marbled into the meat of the duck to give it a little richer, saltier flavor.  It was EXCELLENT....  The Little Woman had the Low Country Shrimp & Grits, which was unlike the Shrimp & Grits we'd had when we were actually IN the Low Country of South Carolina, but not in a bad way. The grits were flavored not only by the shrimp but also by small chunks of pork mixed in as well, which made it GREAT!  The portion served was quite large, so She let me have quite a bit of it, and I felt quite fortunate.  Thank you, my lovely Queen!

The service was fairly fast and efficient, too.   I wish I could afford to eat there all the time, but t's one of those $$$ places, and unfortunately I'm a $$ kind of guy.  Dinner for the two of us including two glasses of wine was $117 with tip, but it was, uh, er, um, well DANG, my cheapskate self won't let me say "well worth the price"....  Let's just say Grace and eat, y'all, and worry about payin' later.  www.theindigoduck.com

No comments:

Post a Comment