Monday, December 16, 2013

Jonathan Byrd's: A Cafeteria Juggernaut

I hesitate to post anything about Jonathan Byrd's on Sheek Road in Greenwood,  because it is such a giant place it's almost like reviewing a chain,  and almost everyone I know has eaten there at least once, so what's the point, right?  We hadn't been there in ages, because back when I was a Big Eatin' Man, cafeterias were just not cost-effective for me--  I had to eat so many of those ala-carte items to be satisfied that inevitably the price was equal to that of a much fancier restaurant.

Two things have changed, though:  These days I be old, so I don't eat as much, and most cafeterias now have package deals, although not the meat-and-three like they have in the South, but usually an entre and two sides for like $8.99, which fits my $$ sensibilities.  I had the Fried Chicken, which was not the Indiana style to which I'm accustomed-- it had a light sort of partial coating rather than one of  the usual thick, crusty types. It was tasty but not highly seasoned, as is almost all cafeterias' food, I suppose, since they seem to cater to a lot of older folks who are probably on low-salt diets and such, so it was a good thing that I brought along some No-Salt (since I'm subject to the low-sodium torture myself) to flavor things up a bit.  Everything was decent if not outstanding, and we were treated to an almost-deserted cavernous dining room at 2:00 p.m. on a Tuesday.  A bus full of blue-hairs arrived shortly after we did, though, but we never saw them again--I believe they were swallowed up by the banquet room in the back....  There is also a small cafe, JB's, which has things like box lunches and pies to-go and has a drive-through window, too.  All things considered, it was very good even though I rather prefer the more down-home comfort food at Gray Brothers' Cafeteria in Mooresville, but there is the advantage of not having to stand in line forever like you do at GBC.  Heck, I think you could fit all of GBC inside Jonathan Byrd's, so even if there is a wait it likely won't be long. ...Only 9 more years 'till I get the Senior Discount!  Yee-ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment