Saturday, February 12, 2022

The Garrison Restaurant at Ft. Benjamin Harrison State Park-- History and Simple Elegance

Fort Ben was an Army base that closed in the early 1990s, although both the National Guard and Reserve still maintain small facilities there, and the Federal Government retained the gargantuan 1950s-era Army Finance Center Building, though I dunno if it's still used for that.  My cousin from Tennessee was trained as a paymaster there before being shipped off to Vietnam for that war, during which when he wasn't doing paymaster work he guarded convoys and shuttlebuses from attack by the Viet Cong.  It seems ironic to me that another cousin who was in combat as an Army Ranger came through without a scratch while the ostensibly rear-echelon paymaster was severely wounded in a VC rocket attack that killed several of his tentmates, and then had to suffer through another rocket attack on the hospital where he was being treated.  Um, BUT I DIGRESS, as I so often have to say....

Fort Ben was completed in 1910 and has some of the most beautiful, well-maintained brick buildings I've ever seen on a military base.  The Garrison is located inside what was the Officers' Club, which has meeting and banquet rooms as well as the pro shop for The Fort Golf Course.  It's main focus is as an event venue, so the small but elegant dining room is only open for lunch every day from 11 a.m to 2 p.m.



The menu is somewhat limited, but has salads, sandwiches, and a few entrees.  They trumpet their Fried Chicken as a specialty, so I ordered that.  It wasn't huge like the specials I've had at other State Park Inns, but it wasn't as expensive, either, only $10.99 for 2 pieces of chicken (all white for $2 more) and 2 sides.  My Caesar Salad was beyond excellent-- it doesn't seem like there would be that many variables in what makes a salad great, but I swear this may have been the best side salad I've ever had: extreeeemely fresh and crispy Romaine, fresh grated Parmesan, and what I can only conclude was freshly house-made dressing. The chicken and mashed potatoes arrived just after the salad but I couldn't stop eating it, it was that good. I had to really force myself to stop eating the salad long enough to take a picture!


The chicken was not what I'd consider Southern-style but it was very good.   The breading was light and crispy, not greasy at all, although for my taste it could have used a little more seasoning, but the chicken inside was perfectly cooked and juicy.  The taters and gravy were house made from scratch, I think, though the yeast roll was standard-issue state park fare but fresh and soft.  Coffee was excellent, and plentiful since the server returned often to see if I needed anything. It was a great lunch and would have made a great sales pitch for anyone needing catering for an event.  I'd love to sample the Valentine's Day prix fixe dinner they're having, but dinner for one on the Big Day for Couples would feel kind of awkward.

The only drawback for guests staying in The Lodge is that it is the equivalent of a couple blocks away from the restaurant, almost too far to walk on a cold Winter's day, so they might want to just make do with the free continental breakfast the Lodge provides.  I drove by the Lodge but didn't have time to stop and explore.  It's another one of those lovely early 1900s brick buildings with a big front porch full of rocking chairs and an antique sign that says simply HOTEL.  They also rent out 4 houses, formerly commanding officer's quarters, and another larger house, all intended for groups of guests for conferences, retreats, and golf outings.  

I can't wait to come back and stay there, even though I only live maybe ten miles away.  AT EASE, MISTER (MISS, MA'AM, CIS)!  EAT HEARTY, HOOAH!


No comments:

Post a Comment